Site activation is a collaborative effort involving several
teams from CIT. It includes technical changes to a number of areas
in the UBCMS, as well as adjustments to several servers and other
This technical process must be coordinated with any other
scheduled changes that CIT is carrying and, depending on the
complexity, may require formal approval from an oversight
This process usually requires at least four weeks. Typically,
the actual launch will occur before the work day begins during the
Wednesday maintenance window.
We will be giving you a Site Launch Form that needs to be
filled out 4 weeks before you come in for deployment. The
reason this is so important is that we have a team of experts to
review the Site Launch Form to make sure everything goes smoothly
for your deployment. The Site Launch Form will ask questions
regarding choosing your URL, redirects, responsive web design
(RWD), Google Analytics, Site Activation (Quiet Rollout), Full
Launch (Redirecting Traffic) and Communications.
The following will all impact the complexity of your site
launch, and may necessitate even more time. Please contact us to
discuss your site and to help plan your launch date.
1. After the switch, everything at your
current website will go to UBCMS and your current site will
effectively vanish. This means all your
current files must be stored in the CMS (for example,
on the page or in the Digital Assets Manager) and nothing can link
back to your original
2. Will any password-protected pages be needed in the CMS?
Do you need to securely transfer information (e.g. sensitive
student or f financial data using
3. Will any redirects be needed (old site URLs, etc.)?
4. When will tree activation(s) be needed? What paths
(typically /content/www/xxxxx, /content/shared/www/xxxxxx,
5. Will preview/testing with QA server and hosts file be
needed? (Recommended if step 1 is not clean or certain, or if there
are a lot of redirects in step 3.)
We will do our best to schedule to your requested activation
The Monday before your Go-live date, your site will have a Quiet
Rollout. The site will be activated and made live between
6:00 – 8:00am. An email will be sent to you once the
Quiet Rollout has been completed. During Monday and Tuesday
your team will test your site.
- Every page needs to be looked at and "blessed" that it is
truly done and ready for the public.
- Every link must be clicked on to be sure it works
- Any pages that draws information from other sites (Facebook,
video, RSS, databases, third party vendors) needs to be looked at
to see if the "feed" is working
that you put in must be looked at in Firefox, Safari, IE, and on
mobile devices to see if it is displaying properly (If no snippets
- All forms should be tested (check that email is sent properly,
data is recorded, etc.).
- Any search results pages using UB’s Google search
appliance should be temporarily deactivated until the new site URLs
have been indexed by the search (probably a day after the real
deployment with redirects).
- By 3pm TUESDAY the site MUST freeze and if you are not ready
for deployment email email@example.com by no
later than 3pm and we will work with you to reschedule your
- You must let ANYONE who links to your site know the new URL for
UBIT wants to activate new sites outside business hours on
Wednesday mornings. Your Lead
contact and technical contact should plan
to participate in verification at the time of go-live between
6:00am and 8:00am.
- Redirects will be put in place from the old site to the new
site between 6:00-8:00 am
- Your representative (identified on the site launch) will be
available to test the redirects and affirm everything went
- Not all sites have any extra steps to perform for the
Wednesday deployment (brand new sites with no old sites or
redirects will not have anything to do here).
- Search results pages can be re-activated once the new site
URLs have been indexed by the search (probably a day after the real
deployment with redirects)
Go-live cannot be rolled back once the business day begins
(8:00 AM). If roll-back is needed during business day (or
cannot be completed before business day begins -- give 30
minutes notice), it will be delayed until next business day.
It is recommended that you have testers checking
on your site before and after the