The Digital Communications Transformation (DCT) maximizes
our Web potential while reducing the effort required for Web
Our vision for this project is:
- Strategic: This change is based on research. The business plan
takes into consideration both user and business needs.
- Consistent: The new product will allow UB to stand out as a
brand that provides quality content and a positive user
- Flexible: A wide variety of information needs has
been accommodated. For example, options for several templates and a
large variety of components have been developed for you to use for
your website design. This allows you flexibility, depending on the
needs of your department and your site visitors.
- Sustainable: Our vision supports a range of ways, depending on
the users’ needs and your ability to support them. You need
to find a balance between the complexity of the site and the effort
required to maintain it. The tools provided can help you to find
the right balance.
You will need to consider the following questions in creating
your new website:
- Where am I now? Assess the current state of your
website. What information does it currently contain and what is the
quality of the information? This is the Web
- Where do I want to be? Identify where you want your
website to go; for example, what needs must your website achieve?
What messages or information do you need your users to absorb?
Talking with key stakeholders will help you develop a shared vision
of what you want your final website to achieve. This is known as a
- Where do users want us to be? Consider the people who
will be using your website—what are their needs? You may know
what you want to tell them, but it is equally important to
understand the needs of your audience, and how these needs might be
very different from what you initially envisioned.
- How do we get to where we BOTH want to go? Consider how
to satisfy your needs and the needs of your audience. You
will also need to think about how you are going to get buy-in and
support for this initiative within your department.
No matter the role you play in transforming your website, the
DCT will provide you with:
- best-practices in Web writing and design
- shared content, resulting in less redundancy and more
- insight into understanding and fulfilling your visitors’
- power to create and maintain websites with comparative
- involvement in a Web community that is flexible, shared and
- more time to implement strategic solutions rather than rushed
This project will also result in a better experience for your
Web users. Visitors can expect:
- improved navigation
- up-to-date, essential content
- ability to perform the tasks that are important to them