Create rich search interfaces, dynamic landing pages and tag
clouds when used in conjunction with other Dynamic List
Dynamic Lists are user-centric in the sense that the content is
prepared on-the-fly based on user actions (e.g. a search
query or a link that is clicked), and does not need to be
previously prepared as standard UBCMS pages.
For example, a link to 'see more on this topic' could drive a
tagged search. And this list of topic links can be generated
automatically. For example, a standard looking search could evolve
into a faceted search with successive layers of filters as selected
by the user.
A course catalog search "anthropology" could then allow choice
between the semester of availability, time offered, online versus
classroom setting, etc., and individual filters can readily be
removed if they are no longer desirable. All of this functionality
and content can be delivered automatically.
Start in - Click the magnifying glass icon to select
which page, and subsequent child pages, the search is confined to.
Leave the field blank to search all pages in the UBCMS.
Tag filter - Select one or more tags to limit the pages
that are returned. All tags must be matched for a page to be
Limit / Page size - Set a maximum number of items to
display. (It is possible to set up pagination when this is used in
conjunction with the Dynamic
Start at - Select how many items you would like to skip
at the beginning of the list (example: '5' will skip the first four
items and begin the list at the fifth item). Left blank, the
default value of '1' will result in the list displaying every item
in your list. This setting can be useful if you wish to feature
several items in one group, perhaps at the top of your news page,
or on your homepage, and NOT have them repeated with the rest of
your list displayed elsewhere on your site.
Title - Add a descriptive title as a user hint. It is
only displayed when the list first appears (e.g. "Matching Titles,"
or "Search results").
Empty text - Choose a suitable message that will display
if the list is currently empty. (By default it will say "No
Display as - This drop-down menu asks how you would like
your list to be displayed. Lists fall into the general categories
of Links, Teasers and Content:
- Links - Display the pages in the list as underlined
links. Clicking on one of the links will redirect the user to the
page selected. The types of links available are:
- Plain (default) - If no other option is selected, the
list will automatically be displayed as a set of plain links. They
are bulleted with the right angle bracket (>) symbol.
- Call to Action - The links are bulleted with the Call to
Action component’s circular, exclamatory icon (large
- Grouped by Date - The un-bulleted list will be displayed
with emphasis on the separate entries' time of creation. The date
appears as the heading for each entry while the exact time of the
page's creation and the link to the page are placed beneath.
- News (with dates) - This option also displays an
un-bulleted list with the date of creation. A simpler format than
Links: Grouped by Date, the title of each entry is followed by the
date of creation all on a single line.
- Teasers - Display a preview of the information that's on
the pages from your list. The types of teasers available are:
- With Images - Instead of bullets, an image from each
page appears to the left of the page’s title. The
introductory text of each page is displayed beneath the title.
- Without Images - Displays the title of the page with its
introductory paragraph. Items are bulleted with the Call to Action
component’s circular, exclamatory icon (large size).
- News (with dates) - Instead of bullets, an image from
each page appears to the left of each page’s title and its
date of creation, and the page’s introductory paragraph
- News (with dates and feature story) - Instead of
bullets, an image from each page appears to the left of each
page’s title and its date of creation, and the page’s
introductory paragraph appears below. Plus the image on the first
story is displayed larger (like the Feature option in a News
- Grid - Displays the list as a gallery of images. Each
page is represented by an image with its name beneath the
- Search Results: With Excerpt - Instead of teaser
description, show portion of page that matches search query.
- Content: Full Content - Displays the full content of
each page in the list.
New window - Select so each clicked page is displayed in
a new browser window.
Require query - Choose between:
- Always show list (default)
- Only show list when user searches. Used in conjunction with Dynamic
Order by - There are several ways in which you can order
- postDate - Arrange by the date the list pages were
created if using the News article template or with the Date Created
component in any other template. Using postDate without one of
these results in a randomized order.
- jcr:created - Order the list by the date of creation,
with the earliest date of creation beginning the list.
- cq:lastModified - The list will be ordered by the date
of modification. The page most recently edited will appear on
- cq:template - The order will be established according to
its arrangement in the Page Tree, sorted by the template type used
on each page.
- jcr:title - The list is ordered alphabetically by
- random - There will be a random order to the list.
- You can also delete the default option and leave the field
blank to sort the list by its arrangement in the Page Tree.
Reverse order - Check the box to select whether you would
like to inverse the order selected in the Order by field.
Primary - If there are several of these components on
this page, the one marked primary will be selected by dynamic list
components on other pages.
Host page - Specify on what page of your site you would
like any shared content shown. By default will be the current