Display a YouTube video on your page in a custom player.
Videos can be displayed singly, using this component, or as a
gallery using the Video
Gallery component. They can also be given descriptions. The
Video Player settings include options for Auto Play, Full Screen
Mode, Including Related Videos, Looping, HD Quality, Video
Annotations and Pop-up display.
YouTube Video Link: Identify your video in one of these
- The ID that YouTube uses itself to identify a video (e.g.
- The long URL seen when the video is viewed on YouTube's site
(not embedded on a Web page). You can remove additional characters
from the URL — all you need is the
VVNJbqnijc8 is the ID for your video.
- The short URL that YouTube generates for its videos in the
Share tool (e.g.
Alt text - Your video is automatically given a thumbnail
image with the play button.
- Add a description of the thumbnail image for users who may have
difficulty seeing it.
- Alt text is required by New York State policy for images that
have a function such as this.
- Blanks or a carriage return are not in compliance and will be
- See webaim.org for tips on writing alt
Play in Popup - Not recommended (can be distracting).
Video Player Options - Select any additional
- Auto Play: Not recommended (can be distracting).
- Allow Full Screen Mode: Recommended.
- Include Related Videos: Not recommended (undesirable
content may be shown).
- Loop: Not recommended (can be distracting).
- Video Annotations: Recommended where available.
YouTube is cracking down on copyrighted materials and is
removing videos and even shutting down channels that use music (or
other assets) without clear authorization from the copyright
This is affecting virtually all videos on YouTube. Many UB
channels and videos, including the most highly trafficked, are at
risk. Channel owners can dispute claims if they believe copyright
infringement claims are invalid.
It is important that all UB communicators who use YouTube
videos take immediate action and in future act with care to avoid
losing their channel or having their videos blocked by copyright