Search, landing pages and tag clouds in conjunction with other Dynamic List components.
Dynamic Lists are user-centric in the sense that the content is prepared on-the-fly based on user actions (e.g. a search query or a link that is clicked), and does not need to be previously prepared as standard UBCMS pages.
For example, a link to 'see more on this topic' could drive a tagged search. And this list of topic links can be generated automatically. For example, a standard looking search could evolve into a faceted search with successive layers of filters as selected by the user.
A course catalog search "anthropology" could then allow choice between the semester of availability, time offered, online versus classroom setting, etc., and individual filters can readily be removed if they are no longer desirable. All of this functionality and content can be delivered automatically.
Start in - Click the magnifying glass icon to choose where to focus the search. Child pages but not the selected parent will be included.
Leave blank to use the current page.
Tag filter - Select one or more tags to limit the pages that are returned. All tags must be matched for a page to be included.
Limit / Page size - Set a maximum number of items to display. (It is possible to set up pagination when this is used in conjunction with the Dynamic List Pager.)
Start at - Select how many items you would like to skip at the beginning of the list (example: '5' will skip the first four items and begin the list at the fifth item). Left blank, the default value of '1' will result in the list displaying every item in your list. This setting can be useful if you wish to feature several items in one group, perhaps at the top of your news page, or on your homepage, and NOT have them repeated with the rest of your list displayed elsewhere on your site.
Title - Add a descriptive title as a user hint. It is only displayed when the list first appears (e.g. "Matching Titles," or "Search results").
Empty text - Choose a suitable message that will display if the list is currently empty. (By default it will say "No matching pages.")
Display as - This drop-down menu asks how you would like your list to be displayed. Lists fall into the general categories of Links, Teasers and Content:
- Links - Display the pages in the list as underlined links. Clicking on one of the links will redirect the user to the page selected. The types of links available are:
- Plain (default) - If no other option is selected, the list will automatically be displayed as a set of plain links. They are bulleted with the right angle bracket (>) symbol.
- Call to Action - The links are bulleted with the Call to Action component’s circular, exclamatory icon (large size).
- Grouped by Date - The un-bulleted list will be displayed with emphasis on the separate entries' time of creation. The date appears as the heading for each entry while the exact time of the page's creation and the link to the page are placed beneath.
- News (with dates) - This option also displays an un-bulleted list with the date of creation. A simpler format than Links: Grouped by Date, the title of each entry is followed by the date of creation all on a single line.
- Teasers - Display a preview of the information that's on the pages from your list. The types of teasers available are:
- With Images - Instead of bullets, an image from each page appears to the left of the page’s title. The introductory text of each page is displayed beneath the title.
- Without Images - Displays the title of the page with its introductory paragraph. Items are bulleted with the Call to Action component’s circular, exclamatory icon (large size).
- News (with dates) - Instead of bullets, an image from each page appears to the left of each page’s title and its date of creation, and the page’s introductory paragraph appears below.
- News (with dates and feature story) - Instead of bullets, an image from each page appears to the left of each page’s title and its date of creation, and the page’s introductory paragraph appears below. Plus the image on the first story is displayed larger (like the Feature option in a News List).
- Grid - Displays the list as a gallery of images. Each page is represented by an image with its name beneath the picture.
- Search Results: With Excerpt - Instead of teaser description, show portion of page that matches search query.
- Content: Full Content - Displays the full content of each page in the list.
New window - Select so each clicked page is displayed in a new browser window.
Require query - Choose between:
- Always show list (default)
- Only show list when user searches. Used in conjunction with Dynamic List Search.
Order by - Here are some of the ways in which you can order your list. Not all appear in the dropdown. Others may be available on request -- contact the DCT Help Team for details.
- (blank): By default, the leaving the setting blank will sort the list by its natural arrangement in the folder. But this natural order does not reproduce when the list is built by tags like the Dynamic List Builder.
- cq:lastModified - The list will be ordered by the date of modification. The page most recently edited will appear on top.
- cq:template - The order will be established according to its arrangement in the Page Tree, sorted by the template type used on each page. But this natural order does not reproduce when the list is built by tags, like the Dynamic List Builder.
- jcr:created - Order the list by the date of creation, with the earliest date of creation beginning the list.
- jcr:path: The list is ordered alphabetically by the page's full path in the UBCMS, which includes its name. So for pages all in the same folder, it effectively sorts alphabetically by Name.
- jcr:title - The list is ordered alphabetically by title.
- postDate - Arrange by the date the list pages were created if using the News article template or with the Date Created component in any other template. Using postDate without one of these results in a randomized order.
- random - There will be a random order to the list.
- navTitle: The list will be ordered alphabetically based on the Navigation Title in each page's Page Properties.
- You can also delete the default option and leave the field blank to sort the list by its arrangement in the Page Tree.
Reverse order - Check the box to select whether you would like to inverse the order selected in the Order by field.
Primary - If there are several of these components on this page, the one marked primary will be selected by dynamic list components on other pages.
Host page - Specify on what page of your site you would like any shared content shown. By default will be the current page.